Roasting can be an unsung hero among cooking methods. It's not flashy or noisy, it's simple. It's not fiddly or complex, it's easy. All you need is plenty of heat and plenty of time. This week I roasted some broccoli and cauliflower, veggies that I would usually just steam. Roasting took longer, but the flavors and texture were leaps and bounds more interesting than my usual methods. This makes for a side that can stand up to just about anything, but without becoming too heavy or overpowering itself.
The ingredients this week are simple and inexpensive. Here's what you'll need: broccoli, cauliflower, a lemon, a few cloves of garlic, some olive oil, salt and pepper, and a bit of Parmesan to sprinkle on top if you're so inclined.
There's lots of chopping to do. Break down the broccoli and cauliflower into florettes, leaving a couple of inches of stalk. Also mince the garlic and zest the lemon.
Throw everything you just chopped and zested into a large bowl. Drizzle the mixture with olive oil and the juice from the lemon, then sprinkle with salt and black pepper. Stir it around a bit and let it sit for 10 or 15 minutes. Pre-heat the oven to 425 while you wait.
After you've waited 10 or 15 minutes, give the veggie mixture another good stir, then pour it out into a single layer on a greased sheet pan.
Roast in the oven at 425 degrees for 25-35 minutes, turning halfway, until the vegetables are nicely brown and tender enough to pierce easily with a fork. These actually went back in a little longer after this shot, because I like mine quite crispy. Don't fret if you end up with some really, really dark pieces - they may look burnt, but they're probably the tastiest ones.
Serve hot with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if you so desire.
Recipe: Roasted Broccoli and Cauliflower
Prep Time: 5 Minutes | Cook Time: 25-35 Minutes | Difficulty: Easy | Servings: 4-6
- 1-2 pounds fresh Broccoli
- 1 head fresh Cauliflower
- 1 lemon
- 3-4 tbsp Olive Oil
- 4 cloves Garlic
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Optional: Grated Parmesan Cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Chop broccoli and cauliflower into florettes with 1-2 inches of stalk.
- Mince garlic and zest lemon. Add to large mixing bowl with broccoli and cauliflower.
- Drizzle olive oil over contents of bowl. Add lemon juice, salt, and pepper and stir to mix. Let sit 10-15 minutes.
- Arrange vegetable mixture in a single layer on a greased baking sheet.
- Roast vegetables 25-35 minutes, turning halfway, until well-browned and tender enough to pierce easily with a fork.
- Serve hot with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese if desired.